Adventures in Genealogy

Photo: My grandparents, Jackson Co. natives Cecil and Pearl (Hopson) Stoll on their wedding day in 1937.

I love doing genealogy! It's like putting a puzzle together or solving a mystery, sometimes working from the tiniest of clues. And most of my genealogical adventures have a link to Jackson County, Iowa, home base for all of my family lines at some time. So I am inviting you to join me on my quests and enjoy the ride with me. Please let me know how you like my blog. [sic] - means that I left the spelling just as I found it in the original record. Anything else in [square brackets] is my addition for clarity. And since genealogy research works best as a group effort, feel free to add corrections or point me to more information. But most of all, Enjoy! LuAnn

Monday, August 8, 2011

Union Center Sunday School photo, 1910-1915

I recently came across this photograph marked simply "Union Center Sunday School." It appears to have been taken about 1910-1915. I've been able to identify a few people, but would appreciate any help in identifying the rest.
Lower left corner: Opal Russell, age 3-4, sister, Leitha Russell. Their mother, Anna (Smith) Russell, is on the far right. Their maternal grandmother, Sarah (Beers) Smith, is above them holding a small boy. Their paternal grandmother, Clara (Cunningham) Russell, is standing in the open church doorway. Fred Mychalek is in the center of the picture, with probably one of the ministers to his left.
The Union Center Methodist Episcopal Church was located in Section 31 of Fairfield Township, just at the Maquoketa township line, 7 miles east of Maquoketa. The cemetery is easy to get to, just off Hwy. 64. The land for the church was donated by Bert Haylock from his farm. The sanctuary was built about 1870. The church was on the Methodist circuit and served by pastors from Preston and Charlotte - two of whom were Rev. Williams and Rev. C.W. Clemo.
We would like your help in identifying the other people in the photograph. So if you recognize anyone, please let me or Don Wentworth know.










You can also find this photo at this link: photo. You do not have to belong to Facebook to see this picture.

Or ask Don Wentworth to see the printed photo.

Thank you for your help! © 2011 LuAnn Goeke

No comments:

Post a Comment