Adventures in Genealogy

Photo: My grandparents, Jackson Co. natives Cecil and Pearl (Hopson) Stoll on their wedding day in 1937.

I love doing genealogy! It's like putting a puzzle together or solving a mystery, sometimes working from the tiniest of clues. And most of my genealogical adventures have a link to Jackson County, Iowa, home base for all of my family lines at some time. So I am inviting you to join me on my quests and enjoy the ride with me. Please let me know how you like my blog. [sic] - means that I left the spelling just as I found it in the original record. Anything else in [square brackets] is my addition for clarity. And since genealogy research works best as a group effort, feel free to add corrections or point me to more information. But most of all, Enjoy! LuAnn

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Books Available on the Internet

A lot of my research is done on the Internet and with books that are available online. So I thought I would share with you some of my favorite sites for online books with Jackson County information. Just copy and paste the links into your browser.

GOOGLE BOOKS - *Free* - Use this link to get to the Google Books homepage: http://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&tab=pp I find many genealogies and county histories here. On the left is a search box which is wonderful! Capital letters are not required. To find an exact phrase, surround it with quotation marks. For example, type: Ballou+genealogy or "jackson county, iowa"+history
When I used the Jackson County search, I found several biographies of people who had lived in Jackson County but whose biographies were published in other counties. The books come up as page images, but at the top of the page, click “Plain Text” to cut and paste. Double check the wording after pasting! The program is trying to “read” the text and it is not foolproof.
Some books are full view, some have no preview and some have just a snippet view, but at least you know it exists. If you create an account, you can also save the books to your personal library at Google so you can find it easily.
Both volumes of the 1910 J.W. Ellis History of Jackson County are available “full view” on Google Books. For Vol. I , use this link -
http://www.google.com/books?id=HHwUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#PPP7,M1
For Vol. 2, use this link -
http://books.google.com/books?id=HXwUAAAAYAAJ

INTERNET ARCHIVE - *Free*
The 1879 History of Jackson County, is available free online at the Internet Archive and downloadable in several formats. Use this link - http://www.archive.org/details/historyofjackson00west.
There are also many genealogies at this site.

IOWA HISTORY PROJECT - *Free* Another great site for books. Find it at http://iagenweb.org/history/.

ANCESTRY – Subscription required after 14-day Free Trial. Page images of the 1889 Portrait and Biographical Album of Jackson Co., Iowa are available here.

If you know of any other sites, please let me know. Enjoy! © 2011 LuAnn Goeke

No comments:

Post a Comment