Adventures in Genealogy

Photo: My grandparents, Jackson Co. natives Cecil and Pearl (Hopson) Stoll on their wedding day in 1937.

I love doing genealogy! It's like putting a puzzle together or solving a mystery, sometimes working from the tiniest of clues. And most of my genealogical adventures have a link to Jackson County, Iowa, home base for all of my family lines at some time. So I am inviting you to join me on my quests and enjoy the ride with me. Please let me know how you like my blog. [sic] - means that I left the spelling just as I found it in the original record. Anything else in [square brackets] is my addition for clarity. And since genealogy research works best as a group effort, feel free to add corrections or point me to more information. But most of all, Enjoy! LuAnn

Saturday, February 26, 2011

McCaffrey and McGee

I saw a post regarding Edward Turner who married Margaret (McGee) from Garryowen, requesting information on Edward’s origins.  Their son, John Turner was murdered and when I found an article on that, it stated that John’s cousin was Owen McCaffrey.  I had done some research on McCaffrey’s origins, so started trying to find their connection.  This led me to Patrick (pfturner)’s Turner-Faber online genealogy which included both men and their ancestors.  Turns out that Owen’s mother, Elizabeth (McGee) was a sister to Margaret (McGee).  Turner-Faber also had more information on Owen’s grandmother, Bridget, who raised him and his sister after their parents died in a cholera epidemic.  This led me to a post by Patrick regarding Owen’s first wife, Bridget McCaffrey.  Her obituary in a Maquoketa newspaper said she was buried in Deep Creek cemetery and he wanted to know if that cemetery still existed.  Suspecting that it was in Clinton Co., I checked their genweb.  On a listing for Assumption Cemetery, I found an entry for “Brogeta McCaffreu” whose death date closely matched that of Bridget McCaffrey.  So Assumption Cemetery was apparently known as Deep Creek Cemetery at one time.  I still cannot find Owen in census records between 1856 & 1880.  © 2011 LuAnn Goeke

No comments:

Post a Comment